1.22.2019

Book Review -- "The Suspect"


Do you ever have one of those days where everything is just a little off?  

Come on, I know you do!


Well, today is one of those days, proven by the fact that I just managed to type OVER my last blog post this evening, thus deleting it forever.  

Buh-bye.

In my previous post, which sadly just made its way into cyberspace, I laid out my 2019 reading plan, which I will not try to recreate.  The important thing to note is that I plan to focus on five books each month.  One "advance reader copy," one audio book, one book from my DHS library, a devotional, and a Bible study book.  

Somehow, I am ahead of the game already this year, and have completed one ARC and a DHS library book this month.  Bring on the snow days, Mother Nature, so I can keep this up!

At any rate, here is my latest book review for a superb work of fiction, just released today.  Get your hands on it HEREHERE, or wherever books are sold.  It has been featured on allllll the book lists for 2019, and for good reason.  Psychological thrillers are my jam, and this one is worthy of all the praise. 

The Suspect by Fiona Barton
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟/5
40407987
“Ah, but we are all stars of our own reality shows now, sir. Didn't you know?”

In this latest dark and twisting psychological thriller, two families experience their worst nightmare when their teenage daughters embark on a journey to Thailand that goes horribly awry.  After the girls fail to phone home to learn the results of their A-level exams, their parents realize something is terribly wrong and that the girls are in danger.

Alex O'Connor has planned this trip down to the moment in her meticulous itinerary.  With the intention of taking a "gap year," for which she has been scrimping and saving for, Alex can not wait to visit all the sights and scenery that Thailand has to offer.  After her best friend backs out of the trip, Rosie Shaw appears on the scene, begging Alex to take her along as a replacement.  It is not long into the journey when Alex realizes she and Rosie have very different plans for this trip, as Rosie has no intentions of following Alex's schedule.

Told in alternating points of view from "The Reporter" Kate Waters, "The Mother" Lesley O'Connor, and "The Detective" Bob Sparks, as well as posts and emails from Alex herself, readers go on an unforgettable journey into the sinister underbelly of Thailand as these three unravel the mystery of the missing girls.  Kate Waters has a secret of her own, though, which involves her son's own journey to Thailand more than two years prior.  Could he be connected to this story, and will that damage Kate's professional reputation if he is?

I absolutely devoured this book, finishing the good majority of it in just two days.  Each twist and turn in the story was as unexpected as the last, down to the final page.  Kudos to Fiona Barton for a job well done!

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴


Want to read along with me?  Here are the five I'm currently enjoying (or not):

1.  "The Couple Next Door" by Shari Lapena -- Since I have already finished one ARC for this month, I decided to read this one.  It is fairly short, has great reviews, and came recommended by a trusted book-lovin' friend.
2.  "Next Year in Havana" by Chanel Cleeton -- I'm a few hours into this one, and I can't decide how I feel about it just yet.  For one, I bet I would love it more if it was a book in my pretty little hands.  Maybe I'm just not made for audio fiction.
3.  "Once Upon a River" by Diane Setterfield -- I recently signed on to participate in the Goodreads online book club, Book Club for Introverts, and I am loving it!  I have never been a part of a book club, and I have found it so nice to chat with others about the chapters in this beautifully told story.  I would never have picked this book myself, and I have been so pleasantly surprised!
4.  "Everyday Holy: Finding a Big God in the Little Moments" by Melanie Shankle -- Melanie is my spirit animal, and her devotions get each of my days off to a bright start!
5.  "Understanding Your Blessings in Christ: Ephesians" by Elizabeth George -- I'm down to my final lesson in this awesome, awesome book.  Bummer!


No comments:

Post a Comment